Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Shoyu Chicken

A delicious recipe a good friend passed along to me loaded with flavor.
I think it's a Hawaiian dish or maybe Philippino.
Shoyu Chicken
1 - 1½ lb. chicken, bone in (thighs work well, skinless is fine, but boneless breasts don’t do well in this recipe)
1 cup shoyu (soy sauce)
1 cup sugar (for thicker sauce use ½ c sugar & ½ c brown sugar)
3/4 cup water
garlic, at least 2 cloves minced (jar is ok too)
ginger, to taste 1-2 cloves (or use ground, generous dashes)
chopped green onion
toasted Sesame seeds
Rinse/clean chicken & place in a large pot or pan. Add shoyu, sugar, water, garlic, ginger, & green onion. Bring to a boil. Lower heat & simmer about 45 minutes to an hour. Sprinkle w/ sesame seeds. Serve over steamed rice.

I cheated a little on this one. I only had boneless breasts so I cooked them in the sauce for about 20 minutes and realized that wasn't enough time for the sauce to thicken. I removed the breasts and kept them warm then added a little cornstarch and water mixed together, turned the temperature up and let it reduce and thicken. I thought it was very good with little effort. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Being a veggie I would not eat this, but GOSH it does look good.

    ReplyDelete